Tuesday 28 August 2007

Thank You (28/8)

I’m not yet home, still a long way off, but I am at the end of my time in Mekele. A few days left to go in Addis, and maybe I’ll add a post-script. I don’t think is much more to say though. I’ve got a massive lump in my throat and the tears keep threatening…

I am amazed at how far around the world my blog has been read and I hope you have found my insights into my time in Ethiopia insightful, inspiring and moving. I never intended to ever write so much, but I just wanted to share it all with you –thank you for the perseverance! Maybe it has had an effect? Maybe it’s made you want to come and meet the children? Maybe you will…

Without sounding too negative, our achievements so far have been fantastic, but I won’t ever let myself be fooled into a false sense of security or satisfaction – I know what I have done here has helped out a small number of children in a small way for a short period of time. However, there is a long way to go and much work to be done. What I have learnt here is that there is not simply ‘lots of poor people’. There are many individuals that are suffering many individual heart-breaking difficulties, each of them has a story to tell – and it has been a privilege for me to listen and help out where I can. I have also learnt that there is much optimism and joy and hope and love. There are dreams about tomorrow and I just hope that in the future YOU may be one of the people that can help these people realise their dreams. It is a lot easier than you think…


-------------------
THANK YOU
------------------

Firstly I’d like to thank the sisters who have welcomed me into their community of St Vincent’s for six weeks: Sr. Medhin Tesfay, the Coordinator of the Daughters of Charity in Tigray, Sr. Fisseha, Sr. Medhin Abraha, Sr. Fana, Sr. Desta and Sr Alganesh. You have been SO wonderful; we have shared many laughs and such joy – thank you for letting me share in your lives here in Mekele. You have got me through the difficult times and let me enjoy the good times. This thanks is extended to the many other sisters who we have met during our stay including Sr Abeba Hadgu (from Alitena) and Sr. Meaza (from St Louisa’s, Mekele). I extend my thanks to all the other staff at St Vincent’s who have also made my stay even more enjoyable and relaxed. It has been a much appreciated – a safe-haven in a hectic and sometimes difficult environment.

Secondly, I’d like to thank Tommy who has accompanied me on this amazing journey. His friendship, support and help have been unfaltering throughout. When two total strangers embark on such a mission together there will always be difficulties, but we have experienced something very special here together and it is something I will certainly never forget. I’d also like to thank John O’Callaghan whose second stay at St Vincent’s was perfect for him to show us around the town, introduce us to Enet (thanks also to Josie and Robbi!), and generally help us find out feet in Mekele. It was much appreciated! John Bradley joined us for the last week and it was nice to share all the initial experiences of Mekele, the project and the children again though him. I also feel very confident in leaving ‘our’ children in his capable hands and I know he will achieve great things with them. Good luck John!

I’d like to thank the CAFOD staff, without whom this whole trip would not have be possible. Denise for originally suggesting the idea to me (and encouraging me to actually get round to filling in the form!), Nicky and Heather in Brixton for all their very hard work before and during the trip, Seb and Debbie for their media advice, Helen and Sophie who came to visit us, as well as Bev (we’ll go dancing next time!), Jannie, Seamus, Hialu and all the other Addis-based staff who made sure we were very safe and happy. I extend this thanks to Anna, who as a volunteer last year, provided both endless advice and a few Birr – both of which were very handy!

My friends and family have also been fantastic at donating money, time and equipment for my time in Ethiopia. I honestly don’t think I would have even got packed without the help of my parents, and they have been supportive and encouraging throughout – I know they have also been forwarding this blog around and for that I am very grateful too. If I’ve made just one person think a little differently, then the many hours spent typing on the laptop into the night have all been worth it!

My extended family have been wonderful by sending boxes of stuff to me, donating money and getting the support and prayers of their parishes and local communities. I can’t thank you enough and will look forward to sharing all my stories with you in person and the next family ‘do’ – although my tan may not last until then! Maybe you can’t choose your family, but I think I’d choose mine again…

My friends have also been more than amazing. Hazel has been a constant source of inspiration and comfort, right from helping me fill out my application form sat in the Elms, to being in regular contact whilst I was actually in Ethiopia – I do still love to hear all the gossip! Nick has made a wonderful contribution to the lives of the children in the project with his songbook; it has already been photocopied many times and the majority of the songs are now familiar to them. Ciaran and Ash, my wonderful landlords who put up with all my stuff, helped me move house and still provided meals, first aid equipment and medical advice! Gill and Michael have both been an inspiration for teaching TEFL, providing advice, resources and help. Morgan also helped with the cutting of my hair and sharing concerns about rats. Tom has also put up a mirror of my blog for those in Ethiopia, which has been a great relief and help. All those who have text, emailed and facebook’ed me have also been a constant source of inspiration to keep on going! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I must also thank the members of both tommcrae.com and shrimperzone.com. I have been overwhelmed with the kindness and generosity of ‘strangers’ who have made huge contributions to my trip. I found it very humbling and really have appreciated all that you have done for me. The Southend LDV flag will forever live on in Mekele…

The donations made by local businesses have also been put to good use. Thank you.

The staff, parents and students from St John Payne School in Chelmsford have also been fantastic. Donations, words of encouragement and friendly advice have all been much appreciated over the last few months. Special thanks must go to my form who were (of course) brilliant, Frank who was supportive from the beginning and the fantastic Religious Studies department who collected money from staff and students. The kindness of certain individuals, both staff and students, has meant so much to me and will never be forgotten. Thank you also to Dave (and Katie!) for the loan of a laptop – it’s still in one piece…

I am also grateful for the support of my Diocese: from Bishop Thomas, to Fr Dominic, Fr Britto and all those in Mid-Essex Deanery. I have received donations, kind words of support and offers of help from all number of individuals and organisations. Again, I am immensely grateful. Certain individuals made large donations, which have made a real difference in the project that the children will never ever forget.

I’d like to give a special word of thanks to Naomi whom I have been totally dependent on during my time out here. Not a day has gone by without a text message, phone call or email. It felt like she was here with me on the difficult days and I only wished she were actually here to share the amazing days. Her love, support, encouragement, reassurance, kind words and listening ear have really kept me going. I don’t know how I would have managed without her and I’ll never forget it. Thank you.

Last of all, I want to thank the staff and the children at the Abba Gebremichael Project. I could not have asked for greater kindness and hospitality. At the end of my time here, I feel as if I have received so much more than given. I am already confident that the words, gestures, fun times and difficulties will never ever leave me. There have been neither constraints nor boundaries in the love, friendship, care and generosity you have shown to me. I hope and pray that one day I’ll be back to see if you all kept your promises and made the most of every opportunity presented to you. I’m sure you don’t really need me to check up on you, but I’ll try all the same. You are amazing young people; more amazing than anyone who hasn’t met you can ever imagine.

I cannot mention everyone by name – there are far too many people who have shown enormous generosity, kindness and love to me. Some people have surprised me; others never let me down. I feel in a very privileged position to have such wonderful family, friends and colleagues. You have touched me to depths I never knew I had with every donation, however large or small and I have seen first hand what a difference it has made to the people here. Do not underestimate what you have done; I thank you on behalf of the staff and children. In the words of Yohannis (John), “Only God knows the words to thank you enough”.
xx

No comments:

About the Project

This July, I will be traveling to the Tigray region of Ethiopia with CAFOD, to work with the children of Mekele.

The duration of my stay will be six weeks, during which time I shall be working within a local community at a school in Mekele, north Ethiopia. Over the summer, I will be working with street children, mainly boys; teaching them English and helping them to gain access to local government schools. I will also be working with young women, to develop their confidence in English in order to help them avoid dangerous occupations which regularly leave them vulnerable. The school also provides food, medical care and provides for all other essential needs that the children have; many of them made orphans by AIDS. My responsibilities will also involve the development of creative and sporting activities with the children (when we are not studying), and additionally I will be visiting some of the rural development programmes in nearby areas.

About CAFOD
CAFOD is member of the Caritas International Federation and works to end povertyand create a just world. They operate in over 60 countries and work alongsidethe poor, regardless of race or religion. They build global partnerships forchange and campaign for fairer world, putting faith into action.
More Information

Weather